Wednesday, January 29, 2014

There are no Stupid Questions

I've heard the expression "there are no stupid questions," and I beg to disagree.

We don't use the "s" word in my house. We tend to use the word "ridiculous" to describe these types of questions. The unacceptable "s" word is definitely in my head, though, as I am faced with an onslaught of questions every day.

Many of which are legitimate.

Some of which are funny.

Others are just downright stupid ridiculous.

Before you judge me too harshly, I ask you to consider a few recent conversations I have had with the little men in my life.

child: Mommy, are these vegetables good for me?
me: Yes, they have lots of healthy vitamins and minerals.
same child: What? What have lots of vitamins?
me: ...

Sorry, folks, that one was pretty stupid.

Or what about this scenario?

All 3 kids are in the same room, apparently paying attention to me.
child 1: Mommy, can we have some candy?
me: No, we are about to have dinner.
child 2: Mommy, can I please have a piece of candy?
me: No, we are about to have dinner.
child 3: Mommy, I was wondering if I could eat some candy.

Can you guess what my answer was? Because apparently it came as quite a shock to child 3.

This next one was asked recently. You might say it was more obnoxious than stupid. Let's not split hairs, though. We have all been sick for a few days, hacking and nasty, myself included. So one could say that I had run out of patience for this kind of stuff. Here we go.

child: Mommy, you forgot to give me my medicine.
me: Okay, I'm sorry. Let's go get it. (heading toward the room where we keep the medicine)
child: Mommy, could you give me my medicine? You forgot it.
me: Right. I'll get it. (grabbing the medicine basket and beginning to dig)
child: Mommy, can you give me my medicine?

At that point, I may or may not have shouted something to the effect of, "What do you think I'm trying to do right now, child?" To which he might have responded, "Getting my medicine. Can I have it, please?"

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to go scream into a pillow for a minute.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...